Thursday 2 February 2012

My villain?

The image below shows a mind map which has listed the advantages and disadvantages of using each of the 5 most common types of villain. This has been used in the design process in order to determine which type of villain will be more appropriate for this project, considering all time constraints.  




A human villain would be the obvious choice to create because there are many human villains I could base mine off of. I also have experience with creating human bipeds prior to this module so it would mean playing to my strengths. There is a lot of research available which I could use to hep me create a human villain too which also plays to my advantage. However, unless I create a form of humanoid, my character may not be very original therefore will not stick in the audiences mind so much as some of the more successful villains in films.

Monsters can take many forms, including a humanoid shape as mentioned in the paragraph above. There is plenty of scope for imagination, therefore it should not be too difficult to create an original concept. However this also have its negative points befause I will have to ensure that the character I design will be suitable for the target audience of 7 to 11 year olds and aimed at both genders, seeing as monsters tend to be aimed more specifically at the male gender and some concepts may not be suitable for the age group.

Animals are a very different take on villains, however they have been used effectively in the past so there will be lots of research available to me. Similarly to monsters, they can take many different forms which allows me to use my imagination. I already have experience in creating fur from a previous module so I will have an advantage there however, depending on the animal I choose, I may have to make the biped from scratch which will be very time consuming. However if I can adapt a pre-existing biped, this problem is removed. 
Robots can be imaginative however it can be very difficult to display emotions on one, espeially if they have a mask or some form of metal covering their face, although body language and voice can be used instead to show the character's evil side. Robots also tend to be aimed more at males than females so care would need to be taken to find a way around it.

Aliens will involve a human biped which is modified to give the character different sized body parts, such as the head. This means it should not take too long to rig so more time can be spent on the actual esthetics of the character. However, similarly to monsters, I will have to ensure that it is suitable for the target audience so not too gory.  


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
References 

123freevectors.com
2011
Available Online At: http://img1.123freevectors.com/wp-content/uploads/animals_big/008_animals_camel-deer-elephant-horse-lion-ostrich-free-vector.jpg
Last Updated: 20/01/2012
Last Accessed: 02/03/2012

Acclaim Images LLC
Available Online At: http://www.computerclipart.com/computer_clipart_images/silhouette_of_a_man_and_woman_standing_together_0071-0906-0822-1740_SMU.jpg
Last Updated: 26/04/2010
Last Accessed: 02/03/2012

Deviantart
2012
Available Online At: http://th00.deviantart.net/fs41/PRE/f/2009/020/7/d/7dcb9a2326f6c3fea9a30431de4cac3c.png
Last Updated: 19/04/2010
Last Accessed: 02/03/2012

Gstatic.com
2010
Available Online At: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEf-gNrn1TW1OetlZIktD-min9Jv-y1kI3eGgRJu3FMydU5-tu
Last Updated: 19/04/2010
Last Accessed: 02/03/2012

iStockphoto LP
2012
Available Online At: http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/2912056/2/stock-illustration-2912056-alien-silhouette-collection-vector-jpg.jpg\
Last Accessed: 02/03/2012

1 comment: